The Dime Bag 2018 Rap Up
Peace! It’s that time once again. Time to hit the reset button and time to reflect on the past year. 2018 was an exceptional year of good Hip Hop and many say it was one of the best ever next to 1994, 1996 and 1998. I just had that debate the other night and couldn’t really argue against it. Everybody dropped this year! Everybody! Shit, I think Recognize Ali dropped 15 projects himself. Anyways, I’ve put together a list. One of a million lists out there right now but ours is different. Our list is void of any bullshit or politics. We ain’t catering to nobody’s feelings. We don’t got no friends in Rap. Now come see who had the dopest product in 2018.
Alright, maybe that was a little harsh. We do have some rap friends. Just a few. So, about our list. The tracks selected below were chosen using the following criteria:
1. Song must have been featured in our weekly Top 10 list in 2018.
2. Song must have a good response from fans. When posted here at Dotgotit.com, the song must have generated a good amount of streams and page views. This makes it so I can’t just pick what I personally like.
3. However, my name is at the top so I do get to pick 1 or 2 personal favorites. Fuck it, it’s my website. You would do the same thing.
I’d like to thank you all for another successful year. Our numbers continue to increase as more people find that we post the illest shit first and most frequent. We’ve got other websites that use us as a source which pissed me off a lot in 2018. Those sleepless bloggers need to pay homage. We continue to break new artists and producers and will continue to champion real Hip Hop for as long as we can.
This year was especially challenging to keep the site updated. I had my first child 3 months ago which definitely reduced the time I had to post music. I also started working on my Bachelor’s degree at a state university. I had 2 classes that were mad fucking hard and both had asshole professors so that required a lot of attention too. So what I’m trying to say is thank you. Thank you for coming and checking in with us. Whether that be daily, on Sundays for our weekly Rap Up or just checking us today for the first time. Thank you for your commitment to this genre of music. That underground conscience but gutter shit. That day one Boom Bap, record sampling, dirty keys, lyrical miracle, shit-talking Hip Hop. It’s not for everybody but that’s our lane. They keep dropping it and we’ll keep posting it. Best of luck in 2019. See you in seven.
P.S. If you’re an artist and didn’t make this list or your artwork is not included in the cover. Relax. We still rock with you. If your name ever made it on our site, we fuck with you. Remember, NONE of you pay us or put money in our pockets. We post music strictly on the basis of if we think it’s hot. So if it’s here, we already think highly of it. Hopefully that’s consolation enough.
01. Action Bronson – White Bronco (Produced by Daringer and SVU)
02. Apathy Ft. Pharoahe Monch – I Keep On (Prod. by Pete Rock)
03. Benny The Butcher – Joe Pesci 38 (Prod. by Daringer)
04. Black Thought & 9th Wonder – Twofifteen
05. Conway – Piper (Prod. by Pete Rock)
06. Crimeapple – Siegfried (Prod. by DJ Skizz)
07. Czarface (Inspectah Deck, DJ 7l & Esoteric) & MF DOOM – Nautical Depth
08. Ghostface Killah & Big Ghost Ltd. Ft. Raekwon, Masta Killa & Cappadonna – Watch ‘Em Holla
09. Jericho Jackson (Elzhi & Khrysis) – Self Made
10. Joell Ortiz & Apollo Brown – My Block
11. Lil Fame – Say Nothing
12. Lupe Fiasco – King Nas
13. Recognize Ali Ft. Spit Gemz G.S Advance Eff Yoo & Aye Wun – 5 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
14. Roc Marciano Ft. Busta Rhymes – Trojan Horse (Prod. By Roc Marciano)
15. Royce Da 5’9″ Ft. Eminem & King Green – Caterpillar
16. Skyzoo Ft. Raheem Devaughn – Baker’s Dozen (Prod. by Apollo Brown)
17. The Alchemist Ft. Roc Marciano – In Case You Forgot
18. V Don Ft. Westside Gunn – London Fog
19. Your Old Droog Ft. Conway – Cement 4’s (Prod. by Sadhugold)
20. 38 Spesh & Benny Ft. Styles P & Jadakiss – Driver Seat